Types of Films and Adhesive Film Tape
Film Tape, also known as Plastic Tape or Plastic Film consists of uniform, homogeneous, non-fibrous synthetic webs of Polyester, Polyethylene, Polyurethane, Polypropylene, Polyimide/Kapton®, Polycarbonate/Lexan®, PTFE, Vinyl (PVC and UPVC) and many more substrates. Films are available plain (without adhesive) or with acrylic, rubber, or silicone adhesive on one or both sides and in any combination.
Film materials are typically used for surface protection, identification, safety, bonding, splicing, electrical, medical, and packaging applications. Typically, printed films are used for labeling, and films combined with low-tack adhesive are used for surface protection.
To learn more about our range of adhesive tapes and other flexible materials, feel free to peruse our catalog. For more information, contact our experts or if you are working on a project, request a quote.
Polyester Films, also known as Mylar®, are flexible and dimensional stable, making it hard to tear. Typically, resistant to high temperature and UV, it is often used for electrical insulation, surface protection, and packaging. Available with or without adhesive and in a variety of finishes, from clear to silver and many other colors or tints.
- Mylar® Polyester Film – a DuPont™ brand
- Metalized Polyester Film
- PET Polyethylene Film
- APET Polyethylene Teraphthalate Film – thermoplastic polyester
- PETG Polyester Teraphthalate Glycol Film – thermoplastic co-polyester
- Valox® Polyester – a GE Plastics brand of thermoplastic polyester based on Polybutylene Terephthalate PBT and/or Polyethylene Terephthalate PET polymers.
Polyethylene Films are the most common plastic and an environmentally friendly alternative to PVC. Offering flexibility, conformability, and excellent chemical resistance, these films are used in a range of applications from surface protection to packaging to application tape. Polyethylene film is available with or without adhesive and has various grades of densities.
- LDPE Low-Density Polyethylene Film
- MDPE Medium Density Polyethylene Film
- HDPE High-Density Polyethylene Film
- UHMW PE Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Film – a low coefficient of friction providing a smooth slick low wear surface
Polypropylene Films are normally tough, flexible, recyclable, and resistant to fatigue. Depending on the chemistry, polypropylene films are often used for electrical insulation or packaging applications, such as Carton Sealing Tapes, Tamper Evident Tapes, and Strapping Tapes. Polypropylene films are available with or without adhesive. For custom printed tape, please request Custom Quote.
- BoPP Bi-axial Oriented Polypropylene Film – Carton Sealing Tape & Tamper Evident Tape
- MoPP Mono-axial-Oriented Polypropylene Film – Strapping & Bundling Tape
- TPP Tensilized Polypropylene Film – Strapping Tape
- Fiberglass Reinforced Filament Polypropylene Film – Strapping Tape
- Formex® Polypropylene Film – ITW brand that is flame retardant often used for electrical insulation.
Polyurethane Films and Tapes are commonly referred to as Urethane Film, PU Film, and TPU Film. Due to its overall strength, low-temperature flexibility, and elongation qualities, it is often used in the medical, food, transportation, and industrial markets. This transparent and elastic film contains no plasticizers, so it retains most of its performance characteristics in long-term applications and can also be formulated for demanding outdoor applications. Polyurethane Films are available in various hardness, measured in durometers. Higher durometer grades yield a tough product with excellent moisture, chemical, and abrasive resistance, while lower durometer grades are softer to the touch and ideal for medical applications.
- PU Polyurethane Film
- TPU Thermoplastic Polyurethane – a block copolymer with no cross-links, making it extremely flexible, elastic, transparent, durable, and resistant to oils and abrasion resistance.
- Urethane Film
TFE or PTFE Polytetrafluoroethylene Film, also known as DuPont™ Teflon®, has high dielectric strength and excellent resistance to temperature, abrasion, and chemicals. Used for heat and electrical sealing, it is often referred to as Thread Seal Tape or Plumbers Tape.
- Extruded PTFE Polytetrafluoroethylene Film – excellent chemical and high-temperature resistance
- Skived PTFE Polytetrafluoroethylene Film – used for electrical insulations and slick surface applications
- Teflon® PTFE Polytetrafluoroethylene Film – DuPont™ brand known for exceptional resistance to high temperatures, chemicals, corrosion, and stress-cracking.
- FEP Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene Film – excellent high electric strength, low friction, formidable, transparent, and UV resistant, often used for insulation and labels
Vinyl Films, also known as PVC Polyvinyl Chloride Films, are typically moisture and chemical resistant and can be produced in both rigid and soft configurations. Rigid PVC is mainly used for sealing and soft or flexible PVC is used for marking, insulating and electrical applications. Vinyl Films are often referred to as Electro-Plating Tape, Electrical Tape, Hazard Stripe Tape, Pipe Wire Tape, and Lithographer’s Tape. Available with or without adhesive and in various colors.
- PVC Plasticized Polyvinyl Chloride Film – flexible thermoplastic polymer
- SPVC Solid Polyvinyl Chloride Film – often used for safety or color coding.
- UPVC Unplasticized Polyvinyl Chloride Film – also known as Rigid PVC is highly resistant to chemicals, UV, and solvents.
- EVA Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Film
- PVF Polyvinyl Fluoride Film
- Tedlar® PVF Polyvinyl Fluoride Film – DuPont™ brand that has unique properties including excellent resistance to weathering, outstanding mechanical properties, and inertness towards a wide
Medical Films & Medical Tapes are available without adhesive or with a single or double-coated medical-grade adhesive, including hydrocolloid, hydrogel, hypoallergenic, hydrophilic, and hydrophobic adhesives. Primarily used for wound care, ostomy, electromedical, and surgical/medical device applications
If an item is not listed, please Call MBK or Request Information (RFQ/RFI) for availability.
- Acetate Film
- Acrylic Film
- Co-Extruded Film
- Cellophane Film
- Nylon Film
- Polyolefin Film
- Polystyrene Film
- TPE Thermoplastic Elastomer – generally a low modulus, flexible material that can be stretched repeatedly without any permanent deformation. This soft rubber-like material is permeable to water vapor, breathable, and easy to process.
- Valox® PBT Polybutylene Terephthalate Flame Retardant Film – General Electric brand that offers good temperature performance and outstanding dielectric strength used for a wide range of electrical, electronic, and medical applications.
Partner with MBK Tape Solutions for Quality Products
MBK Tape Solutions sources and stocks films and film tapes from quality tape manufacturers and suppliers throughout the world, including 3M, Avery Dennison, Berry Global, Scapa, Mactac, Tesa, and more. Please visit the online catalog for product details and to learn more about our range of adhesive tape products.
For over 50 years, MBK has provided converting services to a wide variety of industries. We are ISO certified and a 3M Preferred Industrial and Medical Tape Converter. Our converting capabilities include die-cutting, multi-layer laminating, custom slitting, printing, and much more. In addition to our converting services, Boyd can utilize high-performance optical film designs to fabricate advanced display light guides. You can contact our tape specialists by calling 818-998-1477 or request a quote.