Types of Foams & Foam Tapes
For more than five decades, MBK Tape Solutions has been a leading provider of conversion services for customers in every industry. Our state-of-the-art conversion facility is equipped to handle an extensive array of pressure-sensitive adhesive tapes and associated products in a wide range of materials, including films, foams, foils, and cloth. All our products can be converted with or without adhesive, in nearly any size, shape, or design, using rolls, sheets, or specified pieces.
Open & Closed Cell Foams and Foam Tape Applications
Typically, foam is a lightweight material created by trapping pockets of air within a natural or synthetic solid such as acrylic, polyethylene, urethane, polyurethane (Poron®), rubber (neoprene, EPDM, SBR), or vinyl. Foams are typically divided into two categories: open cell and closed cell. Open cell foams feature cell walls that are not completely encapsulated, and are therefore open to the surrounding media, making them more flexible and porous. Closed cell foams, on the other hand, consist of cells that completely encapsulate the air within, establishing a more sturdy and waterproof foam material.
Both open and closed cell foams are used in a variety of adhesive applications, including mountings, gaskets, seals, weather-stripping, and padding. Each foam material offers unique benefits, including temperature resistance between -40°F up to 300°F, moisture resistance, UV resistance, and chemical resistance to a variety of solvents. The flexibility of adhesive-backed foam tapes also allows them to tightly bond to a variety of surfaces while compensating for different thermal expansions. MBK’s foams and foam tape are manufactured and converted into a wide range of sizes, thicknesses, adhesives, and backing materials. Their versatility makes our foam tapes the go-to adhesive option for sealing and bonding applications in numerous industries, including automotive, industrial, medical, HVAC, and construction.
Foam Products Available
At MBK, we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality converted materials in the industry. We fabricate our foams and foam tapes using quality materials and state-of-the-art conversion equipment to ensure you have the perfect foam tape solution for every application. Our extensive selection of foam tapes includes:
Acrylic Foams, often referred to as VHB Foam Tapes, offer outstanding visco-elastic characteristics and excellent resistance to many environmental elements, such as sunlight, ozone, temperature, and water, making it ideal for long-lasting, ultra-high-end, or extreme outdoor bonding applications. Available from .015″ to .125″ thickness and in clear, white, gray, and black.
Polyethylene Foam is a moderately strong and resilient closed-cell foam. Ideally, it is suited for indoor applications requiring shock absorption, insulation, cushioning, vibration, and sound dampings such as in the packaging, aerospace, floatation, recreation, construction, and appliance industries. In addition, it is a widely used foam for stick-to-skin and medical device applications.
Foam sheets and rolls are available plain, or with acrylic or rubber adhesive in different thicknesses, densities, and colors. Foams available at MBK Tape include:
- Micro-cellular Cross-linked Polyethylene Foam – also known as EVA
- Chemically Cross-linked Polyethylene Foam – also known as PEX and has the capacity to protect class “A” surfaces
- Cross-linked Polyethylene Foam – offers superior physical and chemical properties.
- Volara® Polyethylene Foam – Sekisui™ Voltek™ brand of archival quality irradiation, fine-celled cross-linked polyethylene foam known for low water absorption and vapor transmission.
- Minicel® Polyethylene Foam – Sekisui™ Voltek™ brand of extremely fine-celled, chemically crosslinked foam, used when thicker foam is required.
Sponge Rubber Foams are closed cell products that are flexible and compressible, often used for long-lasting indoor/outdoor applications; sealing, gasketing, insulating, and weather stripping. Sponge Rubber Foam rolls and sheets are available plain or with acrylic or rubber adhesive in various colors, thicknesses, and densities. Often referred to as:
- Neoprene Foam – chemical resistant
- EPDM Foam – UV ozone resistant
- SBR Foam – abrasive resistant
- EPDM/SBR Blended Foam – a combination of features
- EPT Ethylene Propylene Terpolymer – often blended with Neoprene or SBR offering fungus resistance
Urethane Foams can be open or closed cell, used for gasketing, insulating, cushioning, sealing and sound dampening. Urethane Foam sheets are available plain or with acrylic or rubber adhesive in various thicknesses and densities. Often referred to as:
- Microcellular Urethane Foam – closed cell foam
- Polyurethane (PU) – open cell foam reticulated or non-reticulated
- Polyurethane Ester Foam – open cell foam used for shock absorption and chemical resistance
- Polyurethane Ether Foam – open cell foam used in indoor environments
- PORON® Urethane Foams – Rogers Corporation brand of high-performance microcellular foams offering low compression and low outgassing
Vinyl Foam Tapes are closed cell foams that are chemically resistant and low cost, used as gaskets to seal out light, air, dust, and noise. Available with or without adhesive and various densities, Low Density LD (5-10#), Medium Density MD (11-15#) and High-Density HD (16-25#). Often referred to as:
- PVC Plasticized Polyvinyl Chloride Foam
- EVA Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Foam
- Vinyl Nitrile Foam – generally of low density, resistant to oils and other fluids
- PVC/NBR Vinyl Nitrile Foam
- Cling Foam – used to hold in place without adhesive
Upon request, MBK Tape Solutions is able to acquire the following foam tapes for your product or project. Speak to our team if you require any of the following:
- Butyl Foam: A rubber foam highly resistant to UV radiation, moisture, and aging
- Ensolite Foams: Energy-absorbent foam with high insulative properties that is extremely resistant to moisture and corrosive chemicals.
- Nitrile Vinyl Foam: A durable closed cell that blends vinyl and Nitrile foam, often used for vibration dampening and shock absorption.
- Polyester Foam: A rigid foam with high tensile strength and resistance to corrosive gases.
- Polyether Foam: A light, flexible foam with low thermal conductivity, good insulative properties, and high energy absorption.
- Polystyrene Foam: An inert and highly durable foam with excellent thermal insulation and water resistance.
- Polyolefin Foam: A lightweight and flexible foam with high thermal insulation and resistance, excellent impact resistance, and flame resistance.
- Silicone Sponge: A highly versatile foam with broad operating temperatures that is resistant to water, compression, UV, and ozone.
Choose MBK for Superior Quality Tape Solutions
Whether you need medical foam tape, industrial foams, whatever your applications, MBK has the perfect foam tape solutions for you. To learn more about our range of foam tapes and other adhesive products and services, feel free to peruse our catalog. You can also contact our experts or request a quote for your next project.