Types of Paper Tape
Paper Tapes consist of paper-backed materials such as Flatback Paper, Crepe Paper, Tissue Paper, Fish Paper, Kraft Paper, Clay Coat Paper and are coated with an adhesive on one or both sides in any combination. Depending on the application, paper tapes are commonly referred to as Masking Tape, Painters Tape, Drafting Tape, Artist’s Tape, and Packaging Tape.
Paper Tape Applications
Paper-backed tapes are typically used for general-purpose temporary bonding or holding. They can be used for a variety of applications, from masking, color coding, splicing, mounting, packaging, and protecting. To create clean lines and prevent paint overspray, masking tapes are often used in automobile and aircraft painting, appliance and furniture manufacturing, decorative glass making, powder coating, sandblasting, and plating. Kraft protective paper tapes, which feature a high tensile strength backing under moist conditions and outdoor weathering, are generally used for masking applications such as screen-printing and printed graphics, as well as for sustainable packaging.
Paper tapes are also used in the medical industry for wound closure and scar healing. Medical adhesive paper tape or surgical tape is hypoallergenic, lightweight, breathable, gentle on sensitive skin, and leaves minimal residue upon removal.
Paper Tape Properties
Generally, paper tapes are conformable, bond to most surfaces, tearable by hand, and recyclable. Depending on the backing material and adhesive, they offer varying degrees of holding power, removability, and temperature resistance. Paper tapes are manufactured in different grades (economy to premium grades), whereas the adhesion value (low to high tack), thickness, colors, and sizes can be adjusted according to the desired application.
Converted Paper Tapes
MBK sources and stocks paper tapes from quality tape manufacturers and suppliers throughout the world including 3M, Shurtape, and more. Please visit the online catalog to learn more about our wide assortment of paper tapes and their specifications.
Our knowledgeable team will assist you in identifying the best paper tape for your application. We will convert the tape into customized sizes, shapes, and configurations. We use quality materials and state-of-the-art converting equipment to ensure that you have the perfect paper tape solution for your application. Contact us today!
Single Coated Paper Tapes are a single coated tape with either a crepe or flatback paper backing, generally used for surface protection, holding items in place, light-duty bundling, and marking. Available in a variety of colors, sizes, and grades, depending on performance and temperature requirements.
- General Purpose Masking Tape – crepe paper backing with a rubber adhesive, typically used for light-duty bundling, holding and marking.
- Low-Temperature Masking Tape – crepe paper backing, typically used for its comfortability and clean removability when spray painting in the transportation and construction industry.
- High-Temperature Masking Tape – used extensively in painting applications where heat is needed.
- High-Performance Masking Tape – generally used for outdoor use.
- Drafting Tape – lower tack for holding drawings in place and removing them without paper damage.
- Artist Tape – a white, PH neutral acid-free, repositionable flatback tape, ideal for masking errors, making corrections, and holding prints in place.
Double Coated Paper Tapes have adhesive on both sides and are typically used for their conformable properties.
- Tissue Paper Tape – a lightweight, strong, porous, and translucent tape, often used for bonding and laminating. Also, very conformable.
- Crepe Paper Tape – a slightly crinkled tissue paper.
- Flatback Paper Tape – a very smooth tape with medium to high adhesion that handles moisture and temperature conditions, typically used during the fabrication process.
If an item is not listed, please Call MBK or Request Information (RFQ/RFI) for availability.
- Fishpaper Tape– a strong, flexible, fibrous dielectric paper, most often used for electrical insulation.
- Gummed Paper Tape – a medium-weight Kraft paper that is coated with water-activated adhesive on one side, used for carton sealing and printmaking. Available asphaltic, non-asphaltic, reinforced, or non-reinforced in all sizes.
- Kraft Paper Tape– typically used in packaging, carton sealing, splicing, freezer tape, straight-line masking, silk screening, and picture framing.
- Clay Coat Paper Tape– a shiny non-porous paper used for interleaf liners or separators.
Partner with MBK for Innovative Tape Solutions
For over 50 years, MBK has provided converting services to a wide variety of industries. We are ISO certified and a 3M Preferred Industrial and Medical Tape Converter. The MBK and Boyd engineers will source the best materials for your application and design for manufacturing considering performance, scalability, and cost-effectiveness.
Our converting capabilities include die-cutting, multi-layer laminating, custom slitting, printing, and much more. Materials can be converted with or without adhesive, in nearly any size, shape, or configuration, supplied on rolls, sheets, or individualized pieces. From prototyping and testing through full-scale production, MBK makes for an ideal partner at every stage of your product cycle. Contact our tape specialists today by calling 818-998-1477 or request a quote for your next project.